Current Covid Alert Level: Red. For more details please follow the link on the homepage.
Support Us

Gift Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of everything you need to know about Gift Aid.

If you Gift Aid your donation, St. Michael’s Hospice can claim 25p from HMRC for every £1 you give. 

How much Gift Aid will my donation generate?

For example, every £10 you give to St. Michael's Hospice, it will be worth £12.50 with Gift Aid.

How can I sign up for Gift Aid?

All you need to do is complete our online Gift Aid form or print, complete and return our Gift Aid form.

How does Gift Aid work?

Gift Aid is one of the easiest ways to make your donation tax efficient. St. Michael's Hospice reclaims the basic rate tax from HMRC, which is the tax that you have already paid. Therefore, there is no extra cost to you and the process is simple: all you have to do is make a Gift Aid declaration.

What is a Gift Aid declaration?

It is simply a statement by an individual taxpayer that they want St. Michael's Hospice to claim back from HMRC the tax paid on their donation. This is a great way to add 25 per cent to the value of your gift to St. Michael’s Hospice, without it costing you any more!

Gift Aid - do I qualify? 

To qualify for Gift Aid you must be a UK tax payer and what you pay in income tax or capital gains tax must at least equal the amount we will claim in the tax year.

If you are a pensioner you may still pay tax on a private pension plan or a savings account, or pay capital gains tax if you sell property or shares. If so, please tick the Gift Aid declaration.

Unfortunately if you don’t pay tax then we cannot claim Gift Aid on your donations.

What does the Gift Aid declaration commit me to?

Completing a Gift Aid declaration doesn’t commit you to anything.  It just ensures that if you choose to donate to St. Michael’s Hospice, we can claim an extra 25 per cent back from HMRC.

What if I'm a higher rate taxpayer?

St. Michael’s Hospice can only directly claim back at the basic rate but please complete and return the declaration anyway.  As a higher rate taxpayer, you can declare your donations on your tax return, you can then claim a rebate based on the difference between the higher rate and the basic rate when you fill in your self-assessment form. 

What if I'm a lower rate taxpayer? 

If you pay a lower rate (currently 20 per cent), St. Michael’s Hospice can still claim back 25p for each £1 you donate, provided you pay enough tax to cover the claim in the tax year you make the gift(s).

What if I make my donations via CAF (Charities Aid Foundation)?

If you normally make donations via CAF, tax has already been reclaimed. However, we would suggest you complete a declaration form anyway so that any separate donations you might make can be gift aided. 

What if I buy raffle tickets?

Purchases such as raffle tickets are not treated by HMRC as donations and so the Gift Aid declaration does not apply to them. 

Can Gift Aid be applied to event sponsorship?

Yes, in most cases - please see sponsorship forms for more details. Remember that each sponsor needs to include their home address and postcode to enable St. Michael’s Hospice to reclaim the tax.

I work for a company that would like to make a donation. Can they make a Gift Aid declaration? 

Because Gift Aid for companies is based on their corporation tax, which in turn is based upon their profits and taxable income, charities cannot claim Gift Aid on corporate donations.

What should I do if my tax status changes or I want to cancel my declaration?

Please let us know by contacting us in one of the following ways:

Write to:
Fundraising Department
St. Michael's Hospice (North Hampshire)
Basil de Ferranti House
Aldermaston Road
Hampshire, RG24 9NB

Telephone: 01256 844744


Further Information

Please contact using the contact details above.